Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Memories #2: The First 3 Months

Isabella's sleeping! I'm probably losing half an hour of valuable nap/clean up/"do-something-other-than-take-care-of-Isabella" time by writing this, but I wanted to put it down in writing before I forget everything about my first three months with my little girl. So here's a list of little details I'd like to remember. (Ok, ok, I know it's irritating that I've started each line with the word "how", but I started it, couldn't stop, and am now too lazy to revise.)

. How you once pooed with such force, the poo ended up on the closet across the room.
. How you cried whenever we put you down on your bed. You always wanted to be held! My left arm finally has muscles!!!
. How at a doctor's appointment, you were smiling at your Papa one minute, and then frowning at the doctor the next minute.
. How tense you are during baths.
. How you sneeze almost always at least twice.
. How you sometimes wake up almost every hour at night.
. How you loved it when your Papa does "airplane" with you.
. How wonderful it is to have you sleep on my chest, hear you breathe, and see how content you are.
. How you threw up so much, despite all efforts to make sure you always burped (even in the middle of feedings!), that it almost didn't make sense to change clothes anymore. You were going to throw up again in a couple of hours anyway!
. How your Papa started calling our Stillkissen (breastfeeding pillow) a Spuckkissen (throw-up pillow) after noticing that the pillow cover hardly ever lasted more than one full day before having to be washed again.
. How cheerful and talkative you are in the morning, right after you just woke up.
. How for several days, you were very fussy right before you went to sleep.
. How you hardly ever cried, except when you had gas, or when we misread your cues.
. How hard you bit and chewed on me while breastfeeding, that for 6 weeks I had deep wounds and sometimes had to cry! (I admit, there was one time when I almost gave up ...)
. How everyone said you look just like your father.
. How you squealed in delight whenever we played peek-a-boo with ourselves using a mirror.
. How in the beginning, you smiled when you saw me smiling at you in the mirror. After a few weeks, you smiled when you saw yourself in the mirror!
. How thin your legs were when you were born, despite having weighed 3585 grams!
. How chubby your thighs are now, that they even have folds on them!
. How beautiful, warm, and fragile you felt when I held you for the very first time.
. How your feet were so long when you were born, even the doctor commented on them.
. How you had so much hair (relative to caucasians, apparently) when you were born, that the doctor had trouble putting the pH-level sensor in your scalp during delivery.
. How wonderful it felt to have you sleep on my chest in the hospital, despite the nurses' urgings to let you sleep in the nursery. I did let you sleep in the nursery one night, but after seeing how rough they were with you I never let them have you again.

No comments: