Thursday, July 05, 2007

On sleeping through

One thing I hate more than people constantly asking me "So is your baby sleeping through the night?" is parents who tell me with great pride "My baby slept through the night when she was X weeks old!" as if it's a sign what wonderful parents they are. Is my baby sleeping through the night? No, and I don't expect her to! Your baby slept through when she was 4 weeks old? Good for you! Too bad for your baby!

Now I know everyone's got their own opinion on this. But here's mine. Evolutionarily (is there such a word?) speaking, it makes perfect sense to me that babies do not sleep through the night and require near constant attention from it's mother. If it didn't, well, mothers would not have thought twice about just leaving the baby somewhere asleep and alone while they went to the all-night party over at the next cave, and the wolves would have had their very own party, wouldn't they? Ok, I just made that one up, but it makes sense to me! If you want an opinion from someone more knowledgeable than I, see
8 Infant Sleep Facts Every Parent Should Know

No comments: